"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The light of other days...


My friend and I went to see the college's production of Grease. Unfortunately, she was 10 years younger than I. That meant she didn't know how to swing, so we didn't get to dance in the aisles to the pre-show medley of '50's hits performed by one of the actors. Gee, I miss the '50's. Songs were so much more musical, bouncy, fun to dance to and sing along with. Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Barry, Frankie Avalon, the Everly Brothers. I did notice that the worst problem one could have was to get pregnant. No AIDS epidemic. No drugs. Cigarettes and booze and fast cars could kill you, I guess. Not to mention your parents, if you really stepped over the line. And we were pretty codependent. Songs had the theme of eternal love. Yeah, that'll happen. Happiness lived in another person. And in the end of the play, Sandy adopts the fast girl personna, certainly a step down from her sweet preppie self, to get the greasy boyfriend. Nope, not the best message. Wonderful music, though.

1 comment:

Karen Martin Sampson said...

I have to admit that Grease has always been a big favorite of mine. I reached high school in 1960 but have a lingering affection for the 50's music and dancing. (Never liked the clothes though! When "hippy" fashions came in I was in my element - I had the body for hip huggers and mini skirts - alas, no longer!) Trying to figure out what a late middle aged woman with a "compressed" figure type (only 125lbs. at least) can possibly wear as mother-of-the-groom without looking dumpy or foolish at a mid July outdoor wedding...sigh.