"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, May 28, 2005

My computer fairy is all tuckered out.

Many challenges for this old woman. Once upon a time, I was on the leading edge of technology. I had an AT, with a 40M hard-drive, partitioned into two drives, of course. Mine, BigBadMama, and my daughter's 8M, LilSquirt. I could program in Basic, and menued it all by myself. It had a VGA monitor, the very latest. Today, it would be comparable to a 1955 Chevy BelAir. Even this big honking Dell I am now sitting before, with 120G and 19" flat-screen, is now a 2002 Crown Victoria. Oh, I have Windows XP, Professional, mind you. But I long for the days when I could interact with my operating system. My next task is to figure out how to post pictures. That should be fun. All my digitals are shot at high resolution, on my 1999 VW Passat. The files are BIG, and I need a guru to come shed some digital enlightenment on me. I had some that were trapped on my old laptop for a while, because it didn't have a CD burner and they were to large to e-mail to myself. I had the nerds down at the computer place give me a copy of all my data when it expired earlier this year. That is one of my talents, murdering PC's. Since I began owning them about 19 years ago, I have owned 9 machines, well, 81/2, because one was an upgraded system that cost almost as much as a new one and never worked very well. And one was a laptop that I dropped less than a year into its life, and shattered the screen. Not my finest hour. Hence the challenge of changing ISP's and finding a new address for the blog. On top of that, I changed my cell phone number yesterday, too. I put the number in my phone book. Today's challenge is to memorize it. And change my screen colors. PeoplePC is at the moment Pepto pink.

No comments: