"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The last commute, sigh...

Highway 101 served up a slow but uneventful rush hour for me on this, my last day working at my job of 12 1/2 years. It is sad but wonderful at the same time. I sat there, in my lane that was of course the slowest moving, whatever lane I choose is the slowest and moving out of it just means slow karma will follow me, so I sat there, luxuriating in the knowledge that I didn't ever have to do this again. As I got to Marin Civic Center, a little sun broke through the marine layer (aka fog) and illumined the gold spire on the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed complex and it was like a beacon for the rest of my days. I start college on the 13th of June, and it is one small step into a bright new future for me. It may just be a way to stave off Alzheimer's, or it actually may lead to one of those superman capes they let you wear when you complete post-graduate work. Age really is a state of mind, you know. I will turn 61 in a week, and feel about 16 most of the time. OK, I do get stiff if I bend over too long, and there are other little irritations which I will not go into here, but by and large, I am healthy, active, flexible and horribly grateful. My mother does crossword puzzles (she's 84) to keep her mind exercised. I think I will just go to school forever. I could have worse ambitions. Being with young people is a real trip, too. They can be so very entertaining, with their shorthand slang and sweet unlined faces. I just have to get through this last day, and my new life begins. Watching my step and saying my prayers. You betcha!

No comments: