"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A lemon, a pear and I...

So, classes are under way for the new semester after those first meetings where taking the roll is the most exciting part of the classtime. Even though we are all adults (and every teacher reminds us of this at our first meeting), every teacher also feels it is necessary to read their syllabus to us, word for word. And even though I had all the equipment necessary according to the syllabus for drawing class, I was still missing some that Kevin required. I did remember to bring my fruit, however, the aforementioned lemon and (somewhat overripe) pear. My first drawing was pretty lame, and not at all up to what I feel I should be able to do. Well, I am still not well, and Kevin is pretty picky, picky, picky. This is probably good. This will probably make me a better artist. I sure hope so, anyway. Algebra is a lot easier, so far. I remembered a lot of what we learned last semester, and am picking up the graphing calculator stuff right and left. And the painting class is a real hoot. We are doing an abstract first, with a limited palette, and I am just having a blast slapping paint onto my canvas, stepping back to admire it, then slapping away some more. I have made less mud than some of my fellow students, and interesting things are happening. Mondays and Wednesdays, I am in class from 9 Am till 4:30 Pm, with only a half hour break for lunch, not nearly enough to get anything at the Coop, and I was lazy and didn't bring anything yesterday, so I came home hollow and dragging. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a two hour break between only two classes, and get home before 2. Feast or famine. I used that time today to organize all my stuff, like move the scissors from the drawing bag to the painting bag so I can cut smaller paint rags, and move the ruler from the painting bag to the drawing bag so I can make windows for drawings. And I got those pencils I was missing, and titanium white to add to my palette, and more graph paper, all at our bookstore. Now I feel ready to do my nutso schedule again tomorrow, as soon as I take the fruit out of the bookbag, and make my sandwich, and put a note on the door to remember it when I leave tomorrow, after putting down food and water for the dog, opening the back door for his easy egress, clean the birdcage and give her seed and water, etc., etc.,etc. It never ends.

No comments: