"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stump rules!

Last night was the second night of the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the 133rd. Westminster is the second oldest sporting event in the nation, only the Kentucky Derby is older, and every year, I settle in with my dog(s) and wax all gooey over these amazingly beautiful animals. The last group to be judged was the Working Dogs, and, oh boy, there was Stump! Stump is a Sussex spaniel, and looks like a cross between an Irish setter and a Basset hound, very much a unique little guy, but of course, he isn't, since he was the best of breed. Stump won this group 5 years ago, and I really rooted for him to be Best in Show, but, alas, not to be. And here he was again, 10 years old (like my Boo, who really is totally unique, you know), strutting his stuff, bold as brass. And he won Group, again! I scared the hell out of Pickle, who was nesting at my side, by jumping up and down and yelling a lot. Yay, Stump! And then, the best thing happened. Stump was named Best in Show! Talk about comebacks! That made my day. Hell, it made my year! There's hope for all of us. Stump is not glamorous like the standard poodle that won Non-Sporting Group, or perky like the Scottish terrier, or elegant like the Scottish deerhound. He is kind of pudgy, droopy, jowly, sort of like ME! Except that he is low to the ground, and I'm not. So, here's to Stump. My hero.

No comments: