"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, January 12, 2008

I surprise myself sometimes...

Last summer (and the summer before), I had a list of things to accomplish. It was essentially the same list, and it remained unaccomplished through the second summer. Don't know what that was about, but everything seemed unimportant when compared to long sleep-ins, Disney movies, detective novels and my Netflix queue. Then, all of a sudden, over winter break, a measly three week sojourn in the darkest days of the year, most of it got done. Don't know what that was about, either. Usually winter is a chance to semi-hybernate, eat things that are not good for me like See's candy and sugar cookies, and do all those other things listed above in abundance. After I assembled my little art table and stool, I needed a place to put them, which required mucking out the studio that had become piled with all the canvasses I had painted over the last two semesters, plus my drawings, bags of art stuff, portfolios, design projects, etc. All the paintings are now hanging on the wall of the studio, where they can be observed and I can make the decision to keep them, rework them, or paint over them. Hmmmm. I made a portfolio out of cardboard from the table carton with tape and wrapping ribbon to hold most of my drawings. I put hooks up on the walls to hang my bags. With the new table tucked into the corner under the window, it is a cozy and hospitable place to work. Then I got the four paintings framed. Because the rabbit was not deep enough (I thought it was 5/8 in., but actually it was 3/8 and the painting stuck out a little), I decided to secure them into place with duck tape. How easy is that? And if they come lose, well, there is always my trusty staple gun to hold the tape down. Life is good when you own duck tape and a staple gun. There are now four new paintings hanging here in my little office. The frames are just right, not too formal, not too casual, subtle but striking, too. It is so empowering to have created something of permanence, something that is worthy of displaying. I get to believe that I truly am an artist when I look at them, as I often do. Anyway, while mucking out the studio, I found the material for the kitchen curtains I was thinking of making last summer. So I hauled out the sewing machine, put up the ironing board, unearthed the sewing box, and had at it. Now I have sweet tie-backs over my table, and it looks like someone of substance and taste lives here. Did I mention that I also knitted 8 scarves over the break? Five were gifts, three I kept for me. Busy little bugger, that's me.

No comments: