"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mythological morass...

Happy to say I found my way here and now have bookmarked this site in my new browsers bookmark file. I am sure there is an easier way, but gee, I am too overloaded to learn anything new at the moment. Let me exposit on my comparative mythology class. Of course, I expected we would be looking at different cultures, and indeed we are. We will be reading the Popol Vu, for instance, the sacred text of the Mayans. But our first assignment is to read the myth of all myths, Genesis. Yeah, it meets the criteria of a myth: anonymously written, pertaining to a supernatural being, widely accepted culturally, and totally without factual support. So, we learned, are the gospels. Not written by Matthew, Luke, John and Paul at all. Those authors were assigned to the scrolls at the Council of Nicea. So, where is truth in all this bullshit? Certainly that stringy guy in his Salvation Army suit passing out New Testaments on the sidewalk by the college looked like he knew the truth, and was eager that we all know it, too. I think this is one of the very classes his literature is hoping to neutralize. And I think it is really important to exercise my mind, one of the reasons I schlepp off to school instead of laying around the little yellow house, thumbing through my new O magazine and throwing crumbs of my hotcakes to Boo. Actually, I got to do that, too, this morning, while sipping my freshly brewed Sumatra that I freshly ground first thing. Oh, it is all so confusing. And upsetting. I want to know what is really true. Guess Dan Brown might have been right. It appears anything goes, biblically speaking.

No comments: