"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, June 06, 2009

I and apples...


I grew up in an apple growing town. Our brand was Gravensteins, and they are really a sumptuous apple, tart and crisp, and the very best for pies, cobblers and crisps. Unfortunately, they do not travel well, so the industry remained small, although one cannery got a contract from Gerber, and did pretty well. Our tiny town had an apple blossom festival every year, and when I was a senior at the local high school, the Chamber of Commerce started the Apple Blossom Queen contest. I entered it, only because my great-aunt was the secretary for the CofC, and would not leave me alone. I won. It is a wonderful memory now, in my doddering years. Someone thought I was cute, and that is always sweet. I don't particularly like apples, though I buy them religiously because it is such a rightious thing to do, and they kind of rest in the bottom of the fresh produce bin in the fridge till I eventually cut them up, a little at a time, for the canary. Lately, however, I have been getting Granny Smiths and making homemade cinnamon apple sauce, with stevia, so no sugar. Really delicious, and probably nutritious as well? I'm never too sure. Certainly, if it is delicious, it can't be good for you!

No comments: