"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, June 20, 2009

One last trip for the horse...


My original idea was to give myself a break from the cows and paint a horse. Well, the horse has been a night-mare (little pun there) from the beginning. No one really knows what a cow looks like, not in all the intimate details. They are just kind of lumpy and bumpy, actually strangely configured, and if I don't get them exactly right, no one notices, except me, and I am determined not to fuss over them too much. But, everyone knows how a horse is supposed to look, although everyone seems to have a different picture in mind, so I have altered this poor animal more times than I care to remember. And because he is white, the whole thing threatened to fade out entirely. My last foray into the painting was to heighten the values of both light and dark, slim the animal in critical areas, and just attempt to make it a more dynamic piece. Whatever, I like it now, and I didn't ever, before. How challenging this is! And, sometimes, satisfying, too.

No comments: