"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, September 14, 2009

All about gesture...

We went out on campus today to try to paint the landscape we saw there. It was all about making marks with the brush and seeing what happens. I like to pick up a lot of different colors, because, let's face it, outside is mostly GREEN. Lots of shades of green, but green, green, green. So, I cheat. I use nonlocal color, like Gaugin and Van Gogh. Well, I'm not up to their snuff yet, but, hey, I think I'm closer than I was before I started today's exercise. Look at what interesting things happen when I stick some orange or purple in there. Look at how I got the trees and plants to emerge from shade to sunlight. I don't know about you, but I got pretty excited about the stuff that watercolors can do, sort of all by themselves. Much more effective than oils, by a long shot. No wonder so many artists love them. And they are so much more portable, so much easier to clean up, and more affordable. I will always love oils, of course. But as I get bolder, I think this medium could be a blast, too.

No comments: