"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, September 24, 2009

A day en plein air...


Watercolor class went to Pepperwood Preserve yesterday. It wasn't as I'd imagined it at all. Bechtel House, where we met, sounded like it should be a wedding cake Victorian, perched on a high hill with a view all the way to the ocean. The view was there, but the house was something out of an Edward Hopper painting, all California ranch house spare, with big picture windows. We camped out on the big porch that aproned the house, seeking shade to combat the heat that rose off the adobe in flickering waves. And yes, I could see the marine layer blanketing the coast. Layer after layer of hills, spectacular in every direction. I executed three paintings there, not wanting to miss out on any little bit of inspiration. I like this one best, because I used non-local color and my imagination, and made a kind of abstract out of the landscape. This is not an easy medium by any stretch of the imagination. And I never know what I have till I look at it much later. Whatever, I had a lot of fun. Some of it was spent just finding the place. My friend led the way with her trusty GPS, which got stuck and took us about 3 miles out of the way, 6 after we doubled back. Ah, the vicissitudes of the artistic life.

No comments: