"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, September 28, 2009

Want a lift? Look up.


I guess this was a spiritual awakening for me, the day I was standing on campus a couple of years ago, waiting for the shuttle to take me to my car so I could go home, weighted down with the 40 lb. bookbag and feeling set upon by nastiness, like the new garage that was NEVER going to open, and a paper due in American History, blah, blah, blah. And I just looked up, into this bluer than blue autumn sky just filthy with puffy little white clouds, and it was so very beautiful. Of course, I often forget to look up, myself. I try to remember, really I do. Swimming helps, because I do at least a third of my laps on my back, looking up at the universe above me. And I made the moonrise table one of my bookmarks, because I like to go out in the backyard and watch it come up. When it is near the horizon on a warm evening, it is magnified like 150%, just this huge yellow eye peeking over the edge of the world at me. And this night, the one in the picture, I had missed the big event, but there it was, wreathed in delicate peachy pink, truly magical. The old song is right. The best things in life are free.

No comments: