"We Three"

"We Three"

Friday, January 20, 2006

Deep thoughts, vol. 9987

It's Friday, and I usually take Friday off. No school, minimal studying, usually later in the day. My mind turns to less weighty issues, like what to wear to bed. I think I have finally discovered the right thing, allbeit 61 years late, but better late than never, I suppose. Nightgowns look wonderful swirling around the ankles whilst swishing about before bed. I like the ones with pintucks and lots of ribbon and lace dripping from neck and sleeves. But, in bed, they tend to ruch up about my hips and wrap me like a mummy, so that I have to unroll myself from them in the morning like a Tootsie Roll from its wrapper. Tee shirts are great in the summer, big ones, but they leave my legs dangling out there in the cold in the winter. Pajamas also look so dapper, all outdoorsy-woman, so Lands End, but I hate those with buttons that poke me and tend to come undone. I bought one pair with a slip-on top, and knitted cuffs at the wrists and ankles, so they don't hike up. Haven't been able to find another like them and these are pretty ratty after a couple of thousand wearings. And what about a bra? I wore one to bed for many years, then gave up on underwire in the night, talk about pokes. But I like to corral those puppies, a little, so I don't get one caught under my arm. So I have come up with the pluperfect nighttime ensemble: stretchy little cami with cunning shelf bra, flannel pajama bottoms, and a thermal tee on top, that I can take it off in the middle of the night if I get too warm. And these supersoft anklets, all poofy and fluffy, on those especially cold nights. Funny how warm feet seem to keep everything else warm, and vice versa. Boy, am I relieved to have this dilemma behind me.

No comments: