"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Little blessings everywhere...

I was laying in my bed of pain yesterday, dog at my feet and remote at my side, when I saw this promo for a new show, The Book of Daniel, premiering that very night on NBC. Looked interesting, and I was still awake at 9, so I checked it out. What a hoot! Aiden Quinn (much more attractive now that age has spread him out a little) stars as an Episcopal priest whose daughter has been trying to raise money be selling pot, adopted Chinese son is bonking the deacon's daughter, natural son is gay and trying to tell his grandfather the Bishop, mother has Alzheimers' , and brother-in-law has just absconded with the million dollar church building fund. In the midst of all this, Jesus regularly drops by to offer support. Support, not advice, not admonitions. Support. Wow. Not the Jesus of my childhood, that whitewashed personna who seemed to deal with his fleshiness so much better than I dealt with mine. Huge resentment about that one. Except, now, having completed a course in critical thinking, I can see that that was all we were allowed to see of Jesus, his godliness. There was humaness there, too, I am sure. So, this TV version has all the trappings: flowing robes, blue eyes, long hair and beard. But there the similarity ends. For one thing, he has quite a sense of humor, and seems to appreciate Daniel's very human veniality. At one point Daniel asks him "Do you talk to me because I am special?" and Jesus replies "No, I talk to everyone. You listen." And there it is, a whole big dollop of wisdom and direction, right there in primetime! Good stuff happens when I get still and listen to the inner wisdom that is right there, always available. Go NBC!

No comments: