"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Let me say this about that...

Well, I am not perfect. You're surprised, I bet. And, gee, I wouldn't want to be, because then, there would be no goals to work toward, or happy trudging on the road of destiny. I do my best to be of help, where I can, and use my vast experience to be of service in this sorry world. And the longer I live, the sorrier it seems. This society, whose goals are labels and glitz, is way off kilter. The means have become the end, it seems. Get rich, be happy. And step all over everyone and everything that stands in your way to get there. And what do you have, then? A swimming pool attached to a big house, fancy stuff everywhere, and a conscience that is filthy with guilt and remorse. Unless you are a sociopath, in which case, who cares anyway. Believe me, living a more modest and austere life with a clear conscience beats that, every day. Of course, stuff is handy and lots of fun to have. I love my car, which takes me wherever I want to go whenever I want to go there. It is a modest little car, inexpensive to drive and maintain, but still, a precious thing in my tiny life. And I adore my computer here, dinosaur that it is. It boots up just fine every day and gives me all the news I need, a thought for the day to keep my spirit all fluffed up, and mail from dear ones and business folks, too. I don't need much more than that. And I think that is the secret to happiness, which is, by the way, a decision I make on a moment by moment basis, anyway. Okay, back to the secret. Happiness is not having what I want, it is wanting what I have. And expressing gratitude for that, every day. Love that I know that. And, gee, a swimming pool would be nice, too. Not perfect. No, not at all.

No comments: