"We Three"

"We Three"

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Sunday musings...


I went to church today. Well, not actually church. Science of Mind is more of a spiritual philosophy, developed by Ernest Holmes, a principle that embraces Universal Mind and our connectedness with one another and all things within that container. I have always liked that premise, that we are all ONE beneath it all. Of course, I like being one with some, and not with others. Sigh. Anyway, I got there early for the 10 AM service, sat down, and watched the congregation file in. I noticed that there were a multitude of women very like me, sweetly dressed and made up, and alone. We all sat on our little islands surrounded by empty seats. And I thought how pathetic I am. The theme for this month is diversity, and today, Rev. Edward spoke about prejudice, how it is far easier to practice than tolerance because it needs no research. Indeed it is predicated on ignorance and self-absorption, and is really about stories we tell ourselves. Contempt prior to investigation, we call it in Program. Great message for me to hear. And later, I saw some of those lone women were actually women I am acquainted with, and if I picked up my phone, I could find a plethora of friends to accompany me in the future. Or, I could arrive a little later, and sit next to one of those carefully put together gals, introduce myself, and make a new friend. Or move on if that is too frightening for her. After all, we are together in the pursuit of a spiritual life or we would not be there in the first place. I find part of that is getting over myself, the fear that others will not like me as I am. Okay, blazing new trails here. And I did run into a friend, one who like me is battling inner demons, and that made the whole trip worthwhile, to know I am not alone in this seething cauldron called life.

No comments: