"We Three"

"We Three"

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Live long and prosper...

I was prepared to not like the new crew of the Starship Enterprize, NCC-1701 for you trekkie types out there, but one gander at the baby Spock and I was smitten. And then the embryonic James T. Kirk came along, with Bones and, later, Scottie, and I was a total goner. Now, there was a lot of shoot-em-up stuff, with appropriate special effects, which were pretty much lacking in the original series, but in the framework of this picture, they remembered the humor that permeated the series, the tribble kind of humor, Bones's propensity to hysterics, Spock's lifted eyebrow, Scottie's remarkable ability to find a last minute last ditch solution to the impossible situation. I remember the debut of the series 40 years ago (yikes!), it was so very inventive and different and we never missed an episode, never. We wrote letters when NBC threatened to cancel it and kept it alive a little longer. And then we watched all the reruns, over and over. My son's first words were "space, the final frontier". I burned out after TNG, because it lost that sweetness that was in the interaction of the characters, and became just another western in space, us against the rustlers. Happy to report, the spirit is alive, and back for another round. I fully expect several more movies with this crew. Soon, please.

No comments: