"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Fragile, handle with care.


I was already fragile when I became an artist. I went around seeking validation from the world at large, like, am I okay here? Please tell me I am okay. Dressing right for the occasion was paramount to my comfort level. A pimple could send me into paroxsyms of fear and dread. I still cannot look at myself in the mirror with my glasses on before leaving the house, or I may never leave it, what with the network of wrinkles all over my face. Okay, it's not THAT bad. And I do check my eye makeup, otherwise I tend to have this raccoon thing going on. When it comes to the art, I always start out just wondering if I can capture my subject. Funny, because I have never really failed at that, not with a modicum of persistence and a whole big bunch of stubborness. And then, well, gee, now what? I notice the Artist of the Day all have gimics, do I need one, too? Is my art too traditional? God forbid, could it be ORDINARY? That is my greatest fear. Well, I like the hawk now, and I didn't for a long time. And it may change a bit more, too. Complimentary colors, that's the ticket. He got all fierce, too. A couple of lines did that. Values are good. And then there is that iridescent blue that I picked up at Dick Blick. Tricky, it's all very tricky. I am sure I will get braver as I go along. With this medium, I can always go back to what it was. Layer by layer.

No comments: