"We Three"

"We Three"

Friday, August 12, 2005

Another mystery cleared up...

Those three dots that I am so fond of (see above) actually have a name; they are called an ellipsis, at least I think it is singular, though that is strange, since they are so obviously plural. Whatever. I have finished the little tome on punctuation, Eats Shoots and Leaves. It was laugh-out-loud funny and oh so illuminating at the same time. And I discovered that "hifalutin", or if you wish "highfalutin" actually was not invented by Gabby Hayes in the old Roy Rogers epics. That's one I want to add to my thesaurus for sure. I had to read this book with a dictionary by my side, and the afore-mentioned word was not in my very old Oxford version; I had to look it up online. It was kind of a down day yesterday. I have been feeling like some dread dis-ease was pending, so I was hunkered on the couch savoring re-runs of ER and Judging Amy, with Boo curled up beside me and a Diet Pepsi within easy reach as I read. (I am a Gemini, you know, a double Gemini. It takes a lot to keep me in one place at one time. ) OK, I have now used most of the punctuation I learned about. I am not much of a fan of the dash, but I make up for it in hypenated words, often connections of my own making. And colons are a little stodgy for my taste. They show up more in business correspondence and text books, though the author, Miss Truss, seems to think they are just weightier semi-colons. There's a debate I can skip.

No comments: