"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, August 25, 2005

I am finally riding the school bus.

When I was a kid, our little town had the only high school in the west county, so 1/2 the student body was bussed in. I always wanted to ride the school bus, but we lived in town. I got to walk to school, or ride my bike, in those interim years when it wasn't a dorky thing to do. As I remember, those years didn't last very long, fourth grade, maybe. Anyway, after the trauma of wasting a lot of valuable gas and stressing out about being late, parking by a No Parking At Any Time sign, and winding up with a $40 parking ticket, I decided to try the shuttle to college. It's one of those short buses, the kind the challenged people always get to ride in. OK, this works for me. I'm sufficiently challenged to qualify. I worried I would not find it; I am a left-brained sort of person (I know this now because we did the test for it in Abnormal Psych, when I intertwine my fingers, the left thumb is on top), and I don't have very good spatial skills. Cannot read a map if my life depended on it. Well, I parked at the downtown mall, turned the corner out of the garage, and there it was! It's just a hop-skip-and-jump from school, and they run two continuously all day, so I don't have to loiter around with the crowds, waiting for it. And I meet all kinds of fun people who are going to college, too. Met a delightful woman, in her 40's (an already a grandmother) who is completing her nursing degree at the excellent nursing school. She also was very enthusiastic about being back to school. These little skills, like finding the shuttle bus, are the really challenging things that give me hope that I am going to conquer the academic world. Oh, and my PoliSci teacher passed me and said hi to me Tuesday, by name! I'm famous, too!

No comments: