"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, August 06, 2005

It's a Leo kind of thing...

My daughter was born at 6:36 am, 26 years ago today. She is a double Leo, and, true to her sign, has been on fire most of her life. There was an earthquake that morning, centered directly under the hospital. I was not surprised. And she was late; my original due date was July 15. Despite that, she was small, only 6 lbs. 12 oz., a full 2 lbs. smaller than her brother, and I was embarrassed. Nevertheless, I prepared her in case she shot up like I did, telling her how great it is to be tall. She isn't. Instead, she is just the right size, blending in with her peers in a way I never did. Well, her red hair makes her a stand-out, for sure. When her father and I made the ultimate sacrifice and spent a weekend together at Cal Student Orientation, we could always find her in the crowd of students whenever they brought students and parents together. It is a rare and wonderful privelege to usher a new life into the world. And it has been a joy watching her grow and prosper, taking pride in her attributes, and assigning her less desireable traits to her father. Well, I'm pretty wonderful, but not perfect, you know.

No comments: