"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Safeway sojourn...

Yes, I went to (soul-sucking) Safeway yesterday. There are just some things one cannot buy at Trader Joe's or Costco. Like Bisquick. Probably Bisquick is not politically correct, but it is the foundation of my favorite breakfast, Belgian waffles with strawberries, bananas and Cool Whip. Ok, you can buy Bisquick at Costco, but only in the 99 year supply size. And no Cool Whip there, at all. Summertime is when I warp into waffle mode. I try to do all my major sinning at breakfast. Somehow I think that calories consumed before noon don't count. I mean, they have all day to diffuse, right? And now is when the really yummy fruits are out, all stacked up in plump little heaps. Like peaches, another waffle-topper. Strawberry waffles are wonderful, but peach waffles are sublime. A little dusting of cinnamon sugar, maybe some slivered almonds, it just doesn't get any better than that. And try finding waffles or pancakes at Denny's or even at your favorite bistro as light and fluffy as Bisquick makes. OK, whole grains are good, but they make lousy pancakes, tough, heavy, sodden things like sponges. Some things are just not meant to be anything but what they are. I'm not even going to mention the Cool Whip, except to say I used to be addicted to it. I knew this because I would get all nervous when I ran out of it. Now, it visits me only during waffle season. And sometimes, it even grows green fuzz from neglect. That's progress.

No comments: