"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Back to the bookstore, part IV, or maybe V

Just back from the JC bookstore, where I accomplished one of two tasks, and bought the second of three books I need for this semester. It appears that my professors are flakes, who could not get their ducks in a row. This was my fourth or fifth trip, I forget. Imagine my dismay when I saw the slot above Sect. 1677 was already empty! How could they be sold out already? And, actually, the books had not even arrived yet! Don't they know I need to have them now, so I can get a jump-start on the semester, and read at least the first few chapters? Of course, I did that last semester, and wound up with a different teacher, and different text, so it was like a total waste of time and energy, not to mention the angst at not understanding every other word. I was reminded by my roommate that this is why I am a student; if I understood it all, why would I bother to learn it at all? Good thinking. And at least the bookstore is manageable, not like the one at Cal, as big as Macy's, the one in San Francisco, where, if I don't take note, I can get all turned around and not be able to find my way out. And these two books together cost less than the one I bought in June. Knowledge is invaluable, anyway. Right. And let's not even mention the fact that my class schedule, which tells me which section I am in and hence which book to buy, evaporated out of my purse. How does that happen?

No comments: