"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, August 20, 2005

I think, therefore I am.

During one of my inanity breaks from studying, during which I pledge to do nothing of any redeeming quality, or at least nothing that requires a whole lot of thinking for I am, after all, resting my brain, I watched a rerun of Star Trek, the Next Generation. I just love Jean-Luc and his attitude. "Make it so." Right on! Anyway, in this episode, Dr. Beverly Crusher, that gorgeous redhead, is experiencing that her crewmates are disappearing around her. The captain and officers keep reducing the number of people on board; even Data, who is a machine and therefore never wrong (wouldn't that be lovely), agrees with them. Beverly never doubts herself, which is amazing thing no. 1. But amazing thing no. 2 is that Jean-Luc believes her, too, even though it is not his particular view of reality at the moment. Now, wouldn't it be lovely if we could all experience that kind of validity in our lives? I remember being the one screaming at the top of my voice about elephants in the living room, and everyone else shaking their heads and recommending therapy. Who can say that what they personally experience is or isn't reality until she is validated by another? And shouldn't everyone? Ah, a deep question. I am probably thinking more deeply here because I am becoming better educated. I am even taking a class in thinking. Anyway, Beverly does come to realize that it is she that is caught in the alternative reality, and she takes the leap into the vortex to return to the real Enterprise. I want to be more like her, for sure. Brave and thoughtful and self-assured, even when all around her is disintegrating.

No comments: