"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Separation anxiety? Whose separation anxiety?

Boo and I have this little discourse every morning as I ready to leave for school. He gets more and more whiny the nearer the moment comes, so we have this conversation:
Me: "OK, it's almost time to Mommy to leave. You're a big boy and you can stay here and guard the house."
Boo: "You're not leaving me, again?"
Me: "Mommys go to school. Dogs don't. You'll be fine."
Boo: "You've got to be kidding me!"
Me: (Picking up keys and sunglasses, dead giveaway,) "Be a good boy, now. I'll be back real soon." (Throwing of extra-special bacon treat towards the kitchen, away from the door.)
Boo: "No, no! Don't go!"
Me: "Chill!" (Sound of door shutting)

OK it's a little pathetic. But if you could see the look on his little black face, well, it's heart-wrenching. As I write this, he is sprawled on the floor directly between me and the door. When I leave, I literally slink to the car and back out of the driveway really fast. It's best to make a clean getaway, and ignore any anguishing yelps coming from the front room. When I am home all morning, he curls up on the bed and doesn't move till lunch. I'm sure he does the same thing when I leave, right? Right. I think I will leave the radio on for him today. Yes, that's the ticket.

2 comments:

Krikri said...

Me: K Rog, be good!
Roger: What's this?! You wouldn't be leaving, would you? I will attempt to distract you with my big crazy puppy dance! I will bring you all my toys, one after the other! I will stand on your foot and look up at you with the saddest face ever!
Me: Here is a delicious Kong filled with peanut butter!
Roger: Holy -- (instant peanut butter-induced bliss, total oblivion toward all that does not involve peanut butter)
Me: (grab purse, race out door)

jen said...

Me: Love you, Anna. Be good and don't rip up the curtains again, ok?
Anna: (sad face)
Me: Oh, God, stop being such a whiner. You break my heart.
Anna: (Circling my legs, wagging her tail, directly blocking access to front door)
Me: (pet Anna on head and force way to door) Oh, you delightful dog, I'll see you soon!
Anna: Races up the stairs to the bedroom, where she peeks her head through the window and gives her saddest look to me slamming the front gate.
Me: Oh, shit. There goes the curtains!