"We Three"

"We Three"

Friday, August 19, 2005

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

So I didn't get into that meteorology class and lab, but I am still learning about the weather, in, of all places, critical thinking. I am 2/3 through this very long series of articles from The New Yorker, called The Climate of Man. It is an expose on global warming, and it is not good news. Now, I listen to talk radio, and I surf over to CNN.com once in a while, and I have not heard that the permafrost in melting, so much so that old vegetation trapped there is rotting and spewing methane into our atmosphere. The old earth is hotter than she has ever been in 420,000 years. And George W., who is admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with, keeps pushing legislation to drill for oil, more oil, offshore and in Alaska, so we can keep emitting greenhouse gases to add to the problem. Which is why I never voted for that idiot. Oh, and the original definition of idiot is one who doesn't pay attention to government. I think Geo. fits neatly into this category. Geo. pays attention to Geo. Monte, my political science teacher, has already pointed out that this president has taken more vacations than any other in history. Yeah, even more than are officially documented. I think his intellect is on permanent vacation. OK, so I'm a little stirred up here. Like Geo., I will not be here to reap the real devastation of global warming. No, that will fall on my children, and their children. I do not drive an SUV, but I do think it would be wonderful if they all wore the bumper sticker quoted in the article: Hi! I'm changing the climate! Ask me how! No wonder college students protest. We get to learn things that our media somehow neglects to tell us. OK, I am reading this article from a media source, but let's face it, how many people read The New Yorker? Probably, everyone should. And maybe there are other sources out there I have not been looking at, too. So, I am really an idiot, too. Former idiot. Yes.

No comments: