"We Three"

"We Three"

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Boo needs a personal trainer!

WE are having delightful spring weather, warm and sunny and the air smells like summer, warm silver grass smell. After a sweet lunch together at Applebee's, our favorite diner, my son and I took a walk in the neighborhood, past all the little houses sitting on huge lots surrounded by very old trees and lots of rose bushes. Boo went with, of course, on his jaunty red leash, and heading out the door, he was a ball of fire, ready to explore the great unknown. A lot of our walk was shady because the trees tunnel the street now that they are in glorious full leaf. Nevertheless, after waddling along pedantically, Boo panted and started to flag, then, on our way back, he just beelined it for a shady, leafy place and flopped down and refused to move. Well, we sat down with him, doused him with the water we had so smartly brought with us, and waited for him to cool down. I thought, what a smart little cookie this dog is. When he is tired, he just stops. I don't do that. I will fight sleep till I am so pooped, I crash and burn. Wouldn't it be great if I knew all my limitations, if I had this inner dashboard of warning lights, like my car has, that would flash at me when I was running out of fuel, or needed to cool down my engine, or was about to emit something I would be sorry for later? Well, actually, I do. I have an AA sponsor, who will always help me read the flashing lights and recommend what I do about that. Kind of sweet. Meanwhile, I need to exercise this little black dog more. Guess that personal trainer is me.

1 comment:

Krikri said...

Aww, poor Boo! I've read that Boston's are more temperature-sensitive than other breeds, but at least they seem to know their limits!
*kristin
p.s. long time reader, first time commenter, love your blog!!!