"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Jumping up and down here!

Today is the 16th anniversary of quitting smoking, a day I always set aside to treat myself really well. That usually translates into spending money, but I never hesitate, because I am saving so very much money here by not smoking. Have you seen how much cigarettes cost these days? Back when they were less pricey I had the brilliant idea of spending the equivalent of a year's smoking on myself, until I figured out it would cost me over $2,000 to do that. Now it would be over $3,200, and that's if I bought them at Costco where they are "reasonable". June 2, 1989 was not the first time I quit, there had been 4 previous attempts lasting more than 6 months each, one was 2 1/2 years. But it was the last time. I was done. My chest hurt all the time like a buffalo was sitting on it, and my insides just felt flayed. I never complained because I was well aware this was self-imposed pain. I felt enslaved by this habit. It dictated where I could work, where I went (not the movies, you couldn't smoke there any more), who I hung around with. It was dirty and expensive even then. So I sought help through my doctor, who gave me a patch, not nicotine, they weren't available then, but a drug used to help heroin addicts through withdrawal. Then I targeted my day, burned the last of my Benson & Hedges 100's in the fireplace at midnight, took a week off of work, and suffered for a few days. The physical stuff was easy. It was the psychological addiction that lingered and made me nutso for the next few months. The phone would ring in my office, I would reach for it with one hand and for a cigarette with the other. The grief I would feel in that moment was all-consuming. It took a while to really let go, and now I occasionally still dream of smoking. Well, I did it from age 18 till 45, with little intermitent vacations here and there, usually prompted by a bout of pneumonia. I have not had pneumonia in the last 16 years. No bronchitis, either. In fact, knock on wood, I enjoy really good lung health. I can feel the lasting effects, though, when I hiked up our hill in Jenner, in the shortness of breath that never went away even as I grew physically accustomed to the effort. In the last few years, I have seen many people die as a result of their smoking and I am so grateful for my once-again pink lungs. I think that is worth a trip to the mall for some summer sandals (more shoes), and a 20 ounce latte and croissant sandwich, to boot.

1 comment:

Ambee said...

Yay Congrats mom! That's really awesome. Such an accomplishment and I'm so proud of you. Esp. knowing how addictive those little suckers can be. I fight my own battle. How did Steven miss the boat on that one? He's too smart.

And BTW, welcome to blogger. You'll totally get more traffic here and there's lots of info on their help page to add things like hit counters and sidebars. Check it out. With some really simple HTML you can do a lot to your blog.