"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, June 13, 2005

Yet another of life's little jokes on me...

I started school today, one measly class. And I was well prepared, having registered and gotten my parking permit and my textbooks, frugally used. I decided that if I could find the classroom I was ahead of the game. Funnily enough, it didn't have a number on the door like all the others, but I guessed it was 1696 from its position between 1695 and 1697. I'm no dummy. However, the teacher was different. Sad to say, the scheduled teach had an accident, so we got this new one. Good news: I like her. Bad news: she uses a different textbook, and the bookstore had a limited supply of them, together with the syllibus. One of the students came back late from the 10 minute break with hers. I figured, no sweat. I will drop my heavy laptop bag in the car and trot over there after class. All those young people had the same idea and they were swifter than I. I got the book, new, $118. I think they line these texts in platinum or something. But no syllibus. Soon, they said. Not soon enough for this elderly student. Really, it is bad enough to be cast adrift in this sea of budding hormones, now I don't even have all my oars in the water. I will muddle through, I am sure. I wrote my first paper, it was a little long, but fun to do. One thing I have no problem with is expressing my opinions. And I seem to be the only one in the room enjoying this class. All those young faces look consummately bored. Whatever happens here, I can't lose. If I am not cut out for academia, I will find out. And if I do well, I will be launched on my course for the next few years. And I found the classroom, didn't I?

No comments: