"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Is it just me, part II...

My new favorite cereal comes from Trader Joes, and is anyone else as in love with a store as I am here? So many good things, and Ben & Jerry's for $2.50 a pint, too! I really want to eat good and yummy at the same time. So I tried this flax seed cereal, with pumpkin seeds, too. I read the ingredients, and most everything is organic, and I couldn't find sugar there, until I realized that "organic evaporated cane juice" just had to be the one. Whatever, it is delicious, not too sweet but not bland either. Except it has all these little black seeds, which I suppose are the flax seeds, and they remind me of (gulp) the itty bitty black bugs. You see, the house on the edge of the world, my previous abode, had magnificent views of the river and the island and the hills and the sea, and flowers bloomed there year round, and a majestic 3 point stag lived in our backyard, but paradise always has a hitch. It took about two years to get them, in a bag of whole wheat flour I seldom used, shoved into the back of the black hole of a cupboard Then they migrated, and were in everything. I had to totally empty everything out, scrub and disinfect, dump a lot of stuff, boxes of crackers and cereal in particular. Now, this is a cathartic and wondrous process, really. I once again knew everything that lived in my cupboards. But the second time they showed up, I was a little peeved. Eventually, Costco came to the rescue, with a huge boxful of plastic containers. Everything that could possibly be vulnerable in my new, bright and accessible cupboards still lives encased in plastic. There is nothing more irritating than setting my tastebuds for that risotto mix and pouring out the sauce mix laden with itty bitty black bugs. Yuck. Give me ants anyday.

No comments: