"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, August 15, 2009

All the lonely people...


I am perpetually amazed at the variety of adult homo sapiens. And no where can one observe them all together in one room better than in AA. We are old, young (12 is the youngest I have seen), tall, short, fat, thin, rich, poor, educated, illiterate, male, female, straight, gay, white, black and every color in between. The Big Book says it best "we are people who normally would not mix". And we are absolutely united in our quest for sobriety, recovery, fellowship. Our disease brings us together in a way we would never find in any other venue. Not even the discount drug store, where the most oddly shaped humans seem to congregate, or the health food store, where everyone looks hungry (my son's observation, chip of this old block for sure) can boast of so many characters. And since our mission is to share our experience, strength and hope with one another, there is not another group of humans who know each other better, either. Well, actually, I know intimate details of many people's past, but seldom know what they do for a living. Isn't that interesting? Somehow it is not a criterion for knowing another human being in my milieu. What we are to one another is not predicated on external facades, but on what lies deep within: an abiding faith in the power of God to sustain and nurture us, a genuine interest in one another's well being, and a desire to be of service to one another. I don't know another fraternity or club that does that. So, I am grateful to be an alcoholic. I have the opportunity to become healthy and strong, if I follow just a few simple instructions. And if I don't, they can't even kick me out! Sweet!

No comments: