"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So much to learn, so little time...


Well, it started out strangely. You know how I always think if I can find the classroom, I have it made? I did that, early, and while I was sitting in there, the teacher put a note outside saying the classroom had been changed. Fortunately, she checked before class started, so I got alerted, and found the last seat around the room. So much for being too prompt. As usual, the first class was spent minutely perusing the syllabus, the supply list, and the RULES. However, she let us read them, one at a time. And she wants us to get to know one another, always a good omen. That is because we will be critiquing one another's work, and some knowledge of the personality involved always helps. I found another painting buddy from my oil painting class at the end of the table, and am all excited to have a friend in the room. Also got to know the guy next to me, one of the others who has some experience with watercolors, also retired like me and casting about for his new path in life. We saw a few slides of watercolors by the masters, and I was delighted to see many were painterly, not super-fussy. The teacher is friends with a local artist that I visited on the Art at the Source tour, who stays strictly inside the lines and creates photorealistic paintings. That worried me for a moment. Not my bag, being terribly neat. Not in any aspect of my life, actually. So, here we go! Create!

No comments: