"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Paint the sky...


Watercolor class is a hoot. As usual, my paintings don't look like anything anyone else did. We are working with the limited palette, and okay, I know about that. My last three oils were with the same range of pigments: lemon yellow, cadmium yellow, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, and pthalo blue. Except with oils, white is added. In watercolors, white is the paper. And Marsha, the teacher, limited us to just three in these paintings, any three we wanted. So here is cadmium yellow, alizarin crimson and ultramarine. I didn't know, but you don't mix the paint on the brush, you wash pigment over pigment, especially in this type of painting, which began with wetting the paper. I always feel happy that I refuse to allow fear to get in the way of creating any more. Those first timid attemts to draw my hand in drawing class have evolved into slashing and slapping, and being a force of nature with a brush in my hand. And cannot wait to find out what we are doing with 24 guage galvanized wire in drawing class this afternoon!

No comments: