"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wherefore art thou, o muse of mine?


I keep expecting it to arrive. Other artists have said just to keep playing around, I will find it. I'm still doing that. I mean, I love oil paints. They keep their brilliance when they dry. You can always layer more on top if you don't like what's underneath. I haven't had a lot of luck at landscapes, but that's coming, for sure. Cows, wow, I love doing the cows, but can one do those forever? And the latest still life was a hoot for sure. I do best when I work fast and loose and don't let my mind overthink the creativity. Eckhart says modern art and modern music are ugly when they come from the mind. I want my work to be full of SPIRIT and elan. Matisse felt this, too. He thought of his audience a lot, you know. It was about seeing into the work deeply and being surprised and delighted, or sad and mournful, or maybe even pissed off. Anything, as long as the viewer was engaged emotionally in the work. Okay, probably not as engaged as Matisse himself was, but properly moved. That is what makes a great painter. Now trying to find that in the watercolor process. This medium offers transparent colors that melt into one another like a sunlight through a prism. Finishing up a plaid color project, where the primaries are painted over one another and show how they respond when blended. Color, what a concept! So, HP, drop in on me. I'm waiting!

No comments: