"We Three"

"We Three"

Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday thoughts, redux...

Every year, I do a spending chart in my Lotus 123 program (never learned Excel, never will). I chart what I expect to receive, which I usually know right to the penny, then what I expect to spend. At the end of the month, there is always money left over, and, by carrying that forward, by December I should have about $5,000. This was the same last year, and the year before. Has it ever happened? Not that I remember, and I definitely would remember having $5,000 in my bank account. Whatever could the problem be? So, I am making it a priority this year to keep track of what I spend, when I spend it. I allow $125 a month for groceries. I am, after all, one little person, how much could I need? Haven't the foggiest if that is what I actually need to spend. And I give myself a $60 allowance for gas. That's probably very generous, now, but not too long ago, I'm sure I spent more. And there is the big $450 I allow for "miscellaneous". This is to cover trips to WalMart for cryptogram puzzle books, Tshirts, DVDs, stuff like that. And Costco, for books and printer cartridges. Not to mention entertainment, movies, dinners out, etc. Well, we are about to find out where all that $$$ has been going. Of course, now that I am watching what I spend, it is likely I will spend less, because I don't want to embarrass myself by not keeping my original spending plan. Whatever, it's a good thing, right? And the new month has not even begun, and I spent more than half my grocery allowance. Probably it was those yogurt almonds that threw the plan off. Oh, well.

No comments: