"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Good idea, in principle...

I decided to quit buying books and actually go take them out of the library. This is especially attractive now that I have learned how to reserve them online. How slick is that! And I save $$$! Could it get any better?! So I went online, and got immediately bumped off. The next day, I was downtown, so I meandered over to the main branch and selected my mystery novels in the old fashioned way, and found that my card had expired. No problemo, they updated their records, and I was all set to go. I reserved three books by this author I came upon recently, who writes terse mysteries about a lawyer in New Jersey (wonder if he knows Stephanie Plum, who lives there, too). They have been coming in, one at a time, and I picked up two of them a couple of days ago. One is new, and due back in 7 days, so I read it first. Last night, I was getting ready to crawl into bed, so I threw the book and the remote onto the bed, and sojourned out to the office to shut everything down, and kind of decided to check the e-mail on last time, and when I got back into the bedroom, Pickle had embossed the book with her teethmarks. It was still readable, if somewhat unpalatable for anyone who does not adore Pickle. Sigh. This morning, I checked the local book vendors, and they didn't have this one in stock, so off I went to Amazon.com, to order it with 2 day delivery, $28.00. Ouch. I could have bought 5 paperbacks for that amount (at Costco). Mea culpa, mea culpa. Dog does what dog does. Though this is the first time she has done this one. Atleast it was the new one, that is still available in hard cover. Sigh.

No comments: