"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Emily Post never covered this particular protocol...


Just like in life, lap swimming has a certain etiquette (although I notice that many youngsters these days are not well acquainted with please, thank you and excuse me, the only tools you need in this world to at least seem civilized). I wanted to go to the noon meeting yesterday, so I tabled my swim till the evening. Bad idea. Though it starts at 5:30 PM, there are still classes going on (water aerobics for all the sweet old round people on the right of me, and sleek youngsters to the left, diving and flipping about). That means they only open 3 lanes for laps: fast, medium and slow. And though that is what the orange cone at the head of the lane says, no one in my slow lane was going very slowly. I had to huff and puff to stay ahead of these hotshots who would Australian crawl right up my back if I didn't. I quit after 20 minutes of getting splashed by these human eggbeaters who seemed to surround me at every stroke, figuring that hurrying had given me the same number of laps I might have accomplished at my usual pace in 30 minutes. I am giving myself the day off today. From swimming, that is. No rest is anticipated, as the gardener here seems to have disappeared. And he took the housekeeper with him!

No comments: