"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, July 09, 2009

What a good girl am I!


I made it to the pool now two days in a row. This is not like weight training, I decided. It is so low impact, I should be able to do it every day, and I am aiming for that, since this is, after all, summer. I have bought myself two new swimsuits, and am returning both of them. I am long in the body, and cannot buy one of those online, or at Costco, which eschews amenities like dressing rooms, but happily accepts returns. My lap swim is kind of mild, some breast stroke, back stroke, side stroke. But I keep in continuous motion, and do most of it without benefit of the kickboard, though it comes in handy when I get winded, which happens. My lung power is still diminished, the vestige of twenty-two years of smoking. I noticed today, though, that this swimming thing is coming easier, and I love cruising down my lane on my back, looking up at HP's lovely sky, feeling the water all around me. The smell of chlorine catapults me back to Ives Pool, where I spent my summers as a kid, paddling around as a little one, and preening for the boys as a teenager. Now, it is all about stretching those long muscles. And now, for a little nap, I think.

No comments: