"We Three"

"We Three"

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Welcome to Summer...


Well, after living for four years within a city block of the Finley Aquatic Center, I have finally done what I planned on doing, bought a monthly pass for lap swims. Being a senior, I get a tidy discount, and, if I go at least 5 days a week, it is a bargain. Otherwise, I
have once again outsmarted myself and spent too much $$$. It's always a challenge, you know. So I did my first laps today, some with and some without a kick-board. I managed almost 20 minutes, and could have gone on if I didn't need the steam to walk back to the house, I nice 3/4 mile stroll. Now, I am a noodle, overcooked, too. But I imagine that my thighs and shoulders are nice and taut already. The water was delightful, and the pool is deep, 6 to 12 feet, but I swam in the end lane, where I could rest if I needed to. Had to buy a couple of beach towels (already on sale, how sweet was that) and now am in the market for a mask like the one I saw on the guy who shared my lane, goggles with an attached nose guard. I like to swim underwater, but need to protect my tender eyes and nose. Said guy also warned me that the chlorine would frizz my hair (his head was shaven, so he was exempt from that indignity), so I made sure to rinse it thoroughly in the shower afterward. Hey, I can do this. I can pack up a psuedo-spabag, with all the essentials, including 50 cents for the locker, nifty little blow dryer, brush, lipstick, underwear (for after swim, I wear my suit there), plastic bag for wet suit, ID card to get in, sunscreen, you name it, I've got it. Piece of cake. If I survive.

No comments: