"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, October 05, 2009

The cowwoman gets edgy...


I was surprised to find that advanced drawing class was about departing from academic style, and learning to be more expressive. Watercolor class then assigned us self portraits (every art class does this, and it is one of my favorite subjects, I've done lots of these), so I took my new skill of letting go of the results and just pushing the envelope, and here is the cowwoman, with her new blond do, exaggerated and souped up, but still I think the essence of me is there. Part of the problem was I was painting flat while looking up in the mirror, and kept elongating my face, which is admittedly more gaunt than it was due to weight loss program, but not quite as gaunt as this. A lot of this rendering was pure accident. I love that when that happens. And I couldn't replicate it even if I wanted to. That's really special, I think. Oh, and to be fair to ME, I did a totally representational version later, and made me younger and glamorous. Hey, fair is fair!

No comments: