"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, October 12, 2009

New tricks...


A friend and I did a gallery opening together in my hometown the other night. My little apple town became a haven for hippies in the late 60s, which really ruffled my Republican parents' feathers, so we have a wonderfully diverse and artistic population there now. The advent of vineyards and wineries has also brought in a new affluence. The clientele was very earthmotherly, in all natural fiber clothing and dripping handmade jewelry. I have a new pair of suede boots, slouchy with fringe on them, so I felt at home among these folks, even in my preppie navy blue blazer. The artist being feted did Native American images, though she didn't look that ethnicity, and a guy that did played this flute-like thing that was absolutely haunting. After, we went to a new bistro called Pesto's, where I had the most divine 4 cheese and spinach ravioli in creamy basil pesto sause with pine nuts. Divine! Anyway, to get to the point, my friend gave me a butternut squash from her garden. The only squash I normally engage with is zucchini, with an occasional yellow crookneck thrown in for color. Happily, she told me how to cook it, once I got it cut in half (she recommended having a mallet handy to pound the knife through, but I have one super big knife that did the job, eventually). Once cooked, though, what then? I looked up recipes on the Net (how handy is that), and found one for soup that I liked, and voila! Enough butternut squash nutmeg soup for the week! And it is yummy. I may be ready to try pumpkin next. I just hate all the guts one has to deal with there. As big as the squash was, it had just one little pocket of that slimy stuff in its belly. So, we'll see if that will happen. I know it would be worth the effort now.

No comments: