"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A little colorful, you think?


We are into still life in watercolor class. This is good. Over the last weekend, I went to some open studios in our annual Art Trails event. The most exciting part is FINDING the studios on the weenie map they give you. And my sidekick was about as good at navigating as I am, which is pretty much useless. However, she had a GPS on her cell phone (!), so it helped us a lot. One painter impressed me on so many levels, and I signed up for a class with her. Her paintings were full of color and texture made with things like plastic mesh, bubble wrap, atomizers, even a syringe full of this glue-like stuff that left thing curlycues on the painting, really dramatic stuff. These pears were an effort to reproduce the image our instructor made. Not too successful, but definitely progress in letting the medium do what the medium does, rather than forcing it to behave as I think it should. Sort of like raising a child, you know. Provide boundaries, and let go. Life lessons in art class!

No comments: