"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Strange thing for a grown person to be doing...


Drawing class was cancelled today. I didn't find this out till I had driven 16 miles to Petaluma campus, but, gosh, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. So I came home and worked on our assignment, this weird little image you see here. The objects had to be organic, so I chose a shell and a piece of driftwood. I drew each one in pen and ink four times, beginning on the left with a simple contour line drawing, then a cross-hatching, then line with ink wash, and finally ink brush only. I tried to rotate the objects to get different perspectives, but also because I was going to be bored out of my tiny mind if I didn't give myself some variety. Frankly, I hope I never have to look at these things ever again. And I think I got some interesting results. Actually, I am most at home with painting, so the last image of each object appeals most to me. But I seem to have gotten the idea of the cross-hatching this time. Great tool for doing value studies (looking at contrasts of light and dark). Michelangelo used that method, as have most great artists. Who am I to bitch? And this is only half the assignment. I have to render two more objects four times. What fun.

No comments: