"We Three"

"We Three"

Friday, January 21, 2011

And from dog, we go to god...


...and when you think about it, that's not a big leap. This was my third drawing yesterday, a copy of Michelangelo's Almighty passing the spark of life to Adam, from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Notice that God has a bump on his nose. I got all enthused and thought I would go into this with colored pencils I had with me, then realized I had only a primary set, and would spend the whole period blending, so I stopped, and the colored patch on God's cheek kind of popped the drawing. Happy accidents abound. I started the drawing with the ear. Everything flowed from that focal point. Don't know why, it just seemed logical at the time. My figure drawing teacher emphasized that objects do not really have outlines, and to work from the interior out was the most artistic approach. Uh huh. I noticed that God in Michelangelo's rendering was stern without being mean-spirited, powerful without being demeaning, actually a face with a whole big bunch of character, worthy of being made in the image of, even though I think that refers to inner qualities more than outer. Again, I had sooooo much fun doing this. I savored it, because today I am laboring over yet another pastel that I think is just way too DONE. Arrrrrrgh!

No comments: