"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursdays with Cezanne...


Our assignment today was to wash color over a drawing, so I whipped out my little Cezanne book and copied this wonderful little painting. I love Cezanne. He never uses big swaths of a single pigment. Everything is small brushwork and I bet he did what I do, picked up different pigments on the same brush, a big nono in oil painting class, where we mixed big piles of paint to place around the painting like a paint-by-number work. Ick. How can one have a happy accident that way? Wonderful things happen in the margins, where one hue butts up against another. I did a careful job on this little sketchbook thing, and the way I do that is to work from the bottom. That way, I wait for things to dry before moving up into the painting, and those watery pigments don't run together. I like to do my watercolors in mostly dry brush, which is tricky, indeed. It is, though, my STYLE. Messy, all over the place, and I hope, interesting.

No comments: