"We Three"

"We Three"

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Glass birds, and eggs, of course...


Once upon a time, when the cowwoman was a budding teen, a pseudo-friend gave me a glass bird for Christmas. She was the daughter of a friend of my mother's, and circumstances threw us together a lot. We hated each other. Well, after that, my mother gave me a glass bird that she was sure was a Lalique, and then they just sort of multiplied into a collection. Somewhere along the line they attracted eggs, glass eggs, marble eggs, even an amethyst egg. My partner at the house on the edge of the world gave me a dandy wood and glass case to display them, and it sits in my back living room, collecting dust. Okay, I do flick it off now and then, but I don't pay a lot of attention to them, my glass birds. Until I need something to draw. Talk about challenging. Our watercolor teacher worked with us on painting transparent objects, and I love the look of them on the paper. So, one day when I was bored out of my tiny mind, I took three things out of the case (the marble just ended up there, because I didn't know where else to put it, and it is too pretty to put in a drawer) and immortalized them in my sketchbook. Next, I want to try some of them in pastels. That should be interesting. And challenging.

No comments: