"We Three"

"We Three"

Monday, July 11, 2005

Blood from the turnip time.

I created a graph in PowerPoint for my presentation later this week on Cognitive Development in Adulthood. Easy subject, because there isn't very much, development, that is. Most of that occurs through childhood and adolescence. And on this graph of Intellectual Abilities from Ages 25 to 67, vocaulary skills peak and stay almost the same, as does verbal memory. However, number skills and perceptual speed take a serious nose dive. And I have to take (gulp) math. In fact, I have to take a math placement test, that will probably put me in the bonehead group, so I will have to take two or three semesters to complete the requiste Math 155. Now, I don't mind the science with a lab. I already decided to take meteorology, I really like clouds. And I don't mind the American history, though I have always thought it was the most boring subject in the catalog. But, oh, my, God, I thought all those symbols and stuff were behind me in Mr. Hogenmiller's trigonometry class 43 years ago. I am seriously going to need tutoring here. So I am not doing it next semester, for sure. I think I will save it for summer session next year. OK, I have math anxiety here. Now committing to meditating on the vicissitudes of pi.

No comments: