"We Three"

"We Three"

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Dog days are upon us...

I had good news the other day; I actually begin this college thing with 30 units of the 60 I need for my AS degree from JC. I had bad news, too; I have to take a natural science, with a lab. So I perused the catalog, and immediately dismissed biology as I have no desire to slice up little creatures, and chemistry, the lab is 3 hours long. Astronomy demanded only one lab a week, but it was 9 hours, from 3 pm till midnight. So I decided to take meteorology. What is more enigmatic than the weather? We have been limping along this summer, for instance, with fog that hung around till 11 am, and suddenly, temperatures soared into triple digits, which was 10 degrees over what was predicted, and we all sat around with sweaty glasses of fizzy drinks, shaking our heads. My old friend at the coast, on the other hand, had not seen the sun for days. I bet he's seeing some now. Well, it could be worse. My friend from Manhattan was talking to an old buddy, and they are dying in NYC. Their heat is mucho different from ours, humid and sooty back there, dry and smelling of sun-silvered grasses here. Today looks like a repeat of yesterday, and that is just as well. I am hunkered down, readying myself for my final and have no time to flit about town. We have double-paned windows that captured the little cool we got in the night. And I actually look forward to learning why we can land a man on the moon, and still not be able to predict the weather.

No comments: