"We Three"

"We Three"

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Holiday heebie-jeebies...

Every time a siren is heard around an AA meeting, some bozo has to remark "here comes my ride". It's funny, and it isn't, if you know what I mean. Most of these people know intimately what it feels like to be out of control. I want to remember that feeling, so I don't have to do it again, for sure. Holidays are big triggers for me, and certainly, July 4th was a time to celebrate, which equated to drinking, a lot. Beer was made for summer. Wine coolers, too. Sangria with big gobs of fruit floating around in it. Well, at least it was nutritious, right? Now I drink club soda with a splash of cranberry juice. If I am feeling particularly festive, I add a slice of lime. And lots of ice. Ice was kind of a turn-off when the drink was alcoholic, as I remember. On my way home this morning from my home group AA meeting, I saw four police cars, all in this short 2 mile lurch through traffic. And as I turned into my driveway on my peaceful little tree-lined street, a siren wailed by on the busy cross-street just a half block away. So they're out there, doing what they do on the holiday weekend. Like they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "be careful out there". And if you get into trouble, I know some great meetings where you will fit right in!

No comments: