"We Three"

"We Three"

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Where no man has gone before...

God beamed Scotty up yesterday. I just caught the end of it on a news channel as I flipped by last night. Well, Bones was waiting for him, I'm sure. Back in the 60's, Star Trek was a phenomenom. And we Trekkies were fanatical about it. Klingons and Romulans and tribbles. Mr. Spock's eyebrow. And Captain Kirk fighting harder to hold in his stomach in that velour top than to save the Starship Enterprise from its weekly peril. He had really snappy sideburns that came to a point, sort of counterpoint to Mr. Spock's foxy ears. When NBC threatened to cancel it, I wrote letters. We missed a symphony to see the second part of an episode, probably the pilot which they cleverly encapsulated into flashbacks (it had a different cast) and featured a lot little aliens with big heads who were actually played by little old ladies. Gene Roddenberry was clever that way. I was fondest of the stories that all took place on the ship. The planet scenes were often pretty cheesy, except, of course, when on a Class M planet, like Earth. I can't remember if Scotty ever got to fall in love. I'm sure he did, though. He had to do something more that fiddle with the warp drive. Anyway, here's a Mr. Spockish salute to our fallen hero: Live long and prosper, dear Scotty.

No comments: